Currently I'm reading: Jenseits vom Tatort by Horst Brandt

About Me

Followers

Add me

Bloglovin

Follow on Bloglovin Follow on Bloglovin

Page visits

Follow me on

Blog Archive

My Blog List

Powered by Blogger.

Peggy Farooqi is a participant in the Amazon EU Associates Programme, an affiliate advertising programme designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.co.uk.

8 March 2014
I was pondering on Thursday that apparently 40% of children don't know that Harry Potter is actually a book / started out as a book. When I first heard it I was a bit speechless. What - really!! 

So… as a 'serious' reader and book reviewer I probably shouldn't admit to this, but when I was browsing Goodreads' Listopia (oh, I love Listopia!!), I was surprised by the many books I found which I had only know as movies. Yes, I do feel a bit silly for not knowing they were books. I suppose someone would need to have written the story in the first place so it makes sense.

Here is my selection of 12 movies I didn't know were books:

1. Forrest Gump by Winston Groom



2. The Devil Wears Prada by Lauren Weisberger


3. Jumanji by Chris Van Allsburg


4. Catch Me If You Can by Frank Abagnale and Stan Redding 
(well, yeah, I guess he's written his life story down)


5. I Robot by Isaac Asimov


6. The Curious Case of Benjamin Button by F Scott Fitzgerald 
(Oh, that F Scott Fitzgerald!)


7. Shrek by William Steig


(they kept closely to the illustration in the book didn't they. I can be forgiven on this one as I don't really read children's books)


8. Brokeback Mountain by Annie Proulx
(know her too, why I didn't know she'd written this book??)



9. Psycho by Robert Bloch



10. Shutter Island by Dennis Lehane


11. Planet of the Apes by Pierre Boulle



12. One Flew Over The Cuckoos Nest by Ken Kesey



In my defence, I did know that the following started out as books!!!

1. Harry Potter by JK Rowling 
2. The Lord of the Rings by J RR Tolkien
3. James Bond by Ian Fleming
4. Winnie the Pooh by A A Milne
5. The Bourne Books by Robert Ludlum
6. Jurassic Park by Michael Crichton
7. The Wizard of Oz by L Frank Baum
8. Fight Club by Chuck Palahniuk
9. Bridget Jones' Diary by Helen Fielding
10. The Silence of the Lambs by Thomas Harris
11.Confessions of a Shopaholic by Sophie Kinsella
12. The War of the Worlds by H G Wells


Quite an eclectic list! And my TBR pile just grew into unbelievable heights. Definitely will put Forrest Gump, Brokeback Mountain and Shutter Island on my book shopping list now. Unfortunately it will be impossible to read them now without seeing Tom Hanks, Leonardo DiCaprio, Heath Ledger and Jake Gyllenhaal in my mind. No, I'm not complaining. 

And coming back again to Harry Potter, another thought came in my mind. The books have obviously been around much longer than the movies. So me personally, I had first heard about the books, and than how the books were turned into movies etc. But children born past the year 2000 probably first became aware of HP as a movie in any event. 

Thanks for listening my dear bookish friends :)